By :C P Vashishth
Dr Arvind Kr Sharma
Access is Public
- Motibhai Amin
- Sir Iyyanki Venkata Ramanaiah
- Sant Ram Bhatia
- Lala Lajpat Rai
- District level
- Janapad level
- Gram level
- All of the above
- Government and autonomous bodies
- Non–governmental organizations (NGOs) and Institutions
- Corporate Houses
2.0 Government and Autonomous Agencies
2.1 Ministries and Departments (Govt. of India) and autonomous agencies
2.1.1 Panchayati Raj Institutions
2.1.2. Sarva Shiksha Abhiyan (SSA)
188.8.131.52 SSA and Madhya Pradesh
2.1.3 Raja Rammohun Roy Library Foundation (RRRLF)
- Assistance towards building up of adequate stock of books and reading materials.
- Assistance towards development of Rural Book Deposit Centres and Mobile Library Services.
- Assistance towards organization of Seminars, workshops, Training Courses, Book Exhibitions and Library Awareness Programmes.
- Assistance towards purchase of storage materials, Reading Room Furniture and Library Equipment.
- Assistance to Public Libraries towards increasing accommodation.
- Assistance to Public Libraries to acquire computer with accessories.
- Assistance towards building up adequate stock of books through central selection
- Assistance to voluntary organizations (NGOs) providing public library services
- Assistance to children’s libraries
- Assistance to public libraries towards celebration of 50/60/75/100/125/150 years and the like
- Assistance towards organization of seminar/ conference by professional organization, local bodies NGO’s engaged in public library development/ library movement and development of library services
- Assistance towards collection and compilation of library statistics through official and non-official agencies
- Assistance to centrally sponsored libraries.
- Assistance towards establishment of RRRLF children corner.
2.1.4 National Mission on Libraries, Ministry of Culture, Govt. of India
2.1.5 Community Information Cantres (CICs) (http://www.mefhalaya.nic.in.blocks/about.htm)
2.2 State Governments and Union Territories
2.2.1. Community Library and Information Centre (CLIC) Project
3.0 Non–Governmental Organizations (NGOS) and Institutions
3.1 Religious Institutions
3.2 Rajive Gandhi Foundation (RGF)
3.3 Ranganathan Society for Social Welfare and Library Development, (BIMTECH)
3.5 Joint Assistance Centre (India)
3.6 Rural Library Foundation
4.0 Corporate Houses
4.1 Infosys Foundation
4.2 Sir Ratan Tata Trust (1919)&amp; Navajbai Ratan Tata Trust (1974)
4.3 Azim Premji Foundation
4.4 DLF Foundation
5. 0 Individuals
- Motibhai Amin, 1906, he popularized libraries in Gujrati speaking areas.
- Maharaja Sayajirao Gaekwad of Baroda (1862-1939), he promoted public library system in his state. He established a full -fledged system of public libraries, including a central library, nearly 800 branch libraries and mobile libraries.
- William A. Borden was engaged by Maharaja of Baroda to organize public library system in the State. He trained Indians about tools and techniques of library science.
- Newton Mohun Datt was curator of libraries in 1921 and gave guidance to the library movement in Baroda.
- Sir Iyyanki Venkata Ramanaiah .He contributed in library movement in Andhra Pradesh.
- Munindra Dev Rai Mahashaya was associated with library movement in Bengal.
- Master Motilal Sanghi (1876-1949) was a teacher and established a public library named “Shri Sanmati Pustakalaya” in Jaipur in 1920. He contributed personally in the promotion of free public library services to the people.
- Sant Ram Bhatia. He promoted public library services in Punjab.
- Dr. S.R. Ranganathan has contributed in the development of public libraries, especially in drafting public library bills for Indian states.
6.0 National Knowledge Commission and Public Libraries
”Source :( www.knowledgecommission.gov.in/downloads/documents/nkc_library.pdf)
7 .0 Conclusion
Kumar, PSG, comp.Indian Library Chronology.New Delhi :Allied Publishers,2000.
Mehta, JC,and N N Mohanty, prep. 50 Years of Indian Library Association 1933-1983. Delhi : ILA, 1983.