33: Pioneers of Public Library Movement in India: Part-1
1. Sayajirao Gaekwad III (1862-1939)
1.1 Social Reformer
1.2 Tours to America and Europe
1.3 Interest in Education
1.4 Library Movement In Baroda State
1.4.1 On Public Libraries
1.4.2 Public Library Development
2. William Alanson Borden (1854-1931)
3. Motibhai Amin (1873-1939)
3.1 Reading Culture
3.2 Major Contributions
- In 1906 he established the first public library at village Petlad in Gujarat named as ‘Mitramandal Pustakalay’
- With his untiring efforts, the library established at Vaso in 1890, started getting grants and its Library building was inaugurated at the hands of Shri Sampatraoji Gaikwad
- Having observed the project to spread knowledge and public education in America Shri Sayajirao Gaikwad of Baroda State established a separate Department of Library and-appointed Motibhai Amin as Assistant Curator. About 8,000 books ware packed in boxes and sent to different libraries to be issued to readers of 18 villages.
- In 1890 he also established another library for students at Vaso and with his friends started managing its affairs.
- Motibhai also started a `mobile library’ on the line of America, in Vadodara State in 1911 and got approved by the British Officer William Allenson Borden and got a grant of Rs. 6000. He bought books worth the amount, packed them in 150 boxes. This project profited many villages.
- Motibhai established libraries in Kadi, 6 in Amreli, 9 in Navsari, and 14 in Vadodara. Under the supervision of Department of Education, he established 200 libraries beside 240 small village libraries.
- He also framed rules for application for registration and obtaining grants for establishing a library. He also made people to follow them.
- He submitted a project for the establishment of libraries and obtained additional grants.
- He also started library science education because there were no trained hands. He arranged to train them through the government department.
- He started a quarterly journal entitled `Pustakalay’ which is being published by Pustakalya Sahayak Sahakari Mandal.
- He also compiled all the G.Rs and published them in two parts.
- He arranged the State Level Conference on 12th and 13th April 1925. He organized the Platinum Jubilee Celebration of the first public library of Vadodara.
- He believed that women also must be educated. So he established Children’s and Women’s Libraries.
- He also established libraries in every school. He believed that as mother reforms and provides training to a child – the teacher also should reform the children through the library.