3.2 Maps, Atlases, and Globes
3.2.5 Typical Examples
2. General Reference Sources
3. Specific geographical information sources
3.1.1 Concept and Definition
- Detailed geographical information,
- Provides information on more and even far more smaller places,
- Physically often, it is easier to use by a user, and
- It is easier to manage as a publication in the library & information centre, for example in shelving, binding, etc.
126.96.36.199 Items of information:
188.8.131.52 Accuracy and Currency (Up-to-dateness):
184.108.40.206 Special features
220.127.116.11.1 Merriam-Webster's Geographical Dictionary, Third Edition
18.104.22.168.2 Chamber’s World Gazetteer
22.214.171.124.1 Imperial Gazetteer of India
126.96.36.199.2 District Gazetteer
3.2.1 Concept and Definition
Traditional definitions require a topographic map to show both natural and man-made features. A topographic map is a detailed and accurate graphic representation of cultural and natural features on the ground. In a general map the variety of phenomena—geological, geographical, political—regularly appear together, whereas a thematic map is meant to focus on a specific theme. The thematic maps use the base data, such as coastlines, political boundaries, and places, only to portray context for mapping the theme. General maps display the base data, such as landforms, lines of transportation, and settlements, etc. Thematic maps emphasise spatial variation of one or a small number of geographic features. These features may be of physical phenomena such as climate or human characteristics such as population density, etc. While general reference maps show where something is in space, thematic maps tell a story about that place (e.g., city map).
• Physical Maps: Physical maps show the physical features of a place, like like mountains, rivers, lakes, etc. Water-bodies are always shown with blue colour, mountains and other elevation changes are shown with different colours. Generally brown shades are used for higher elevations , whereas green colour shades are used for lower levels.
• Topographic Maps: Like physical maps, topographic maps show physical landscape, but these use contour lines in place of colour.
• Economic or Resource Maps: These maps display specific type of economic activity and / or natural resources in an area, using different symbols or colours.
• Road Maps: These are most common maps. These display major and minor roads. These also show airports, city locations, and other features of common interest, like parks, places of visit, monuments, etc.
• Thematic Maps: These maps display a special or specific theme or special subject. These usually do not portray features like rivers, cities, highways, etc. In case some of these features are shown these are only contextual and these improve the theme for which map is prepared.
188.8.131.52 Scope and Items of Information:
184.108.40.206 Accuracy and Currency (Up-to-dateness):
220.127.116.11 Special features:
3.2.5 Typical Examples
18.104.22.168.1 The times Comprehensive Atlas of the World, Ed 13, UK, 544 pages, 320 col. plates, (ISBN: 978-0-00-741913-5). The Times Atlas has been frequently updated since its first publication in 1967. Now in its 13th edition, it is an important quality at
22.214.171.124.2 The New International Atlas, Chicago. Rand McNally
- The Atlas of the World, by Oxford University Press.
- Oxford Hammond Essential Atlas of the World. Oxford [England], Oxford University Press, c1994. 1 atlas (167 p.) : col. ill., col. maps. Scales differ. ISBN: 0198692528.
- Hammond Atlas of the World [electronic resource]. [Maplewood, N.J.] : Hammond Inc., c1997. 1 CD-ROM ; 4 3/4 in. + 1 instruction guide (8 p. ; 12 cm.), Contains three main activity sections--the atlas, the almanac, and the thematic section. It has digital maps.
126.96.36.199 National Maps and Atlases
188.8.131.52.1 National Atlas of India
184.108.40.206.2 Some other national atlases of interest are:
Postcode Atlas of Britain and Northern Ireland [Hardcover], Collins UK, Hardcover: 224 pages, New edition edition (5 Jan 2012), ISBN-10: 0007443072, ISBN-13: 978-0007443079.
220.127.116.11 Local Maps and Atlases
18.104.22.168 Special or Thematic Maps
- Historical Atlases
- Economic and Social Atlases
Atlas of Global Development: A Visual Guide to the World's Greatest Challenges.4th edition, by World Bank. Paperback; 2013. ISBN: 978-0-8213-9757-2
A social and economic atlas of India. S. Muthiah [ed. in chief]: x, 254 pp., map [in end-pocket]. Delhi, Oxford and New York: Oxford University Press, 1987.
3.3.1 Concept and Use
22.214.171.124 Fodor's Essential India.
126.96.36.199 Fodor’s England 2013. Trade Paperback Pages: 888. Published: December 2012.
188.8.131.52 Fodor's Amsterdam's 25 Best. Trade Paperback Pages: 128. Published: February 2011.
184.108.40.206 Other publishers of travel information are:
<http://dsal.uchicago.edu/reference/index.html> The Digital South Asia Library.
<dli.ernet.in> The Digital Library of India site is a mine of information for reading books.
<http://geography.about.com/od/understandmaps/a/thematicmaps.htm > Briney, Amanda. Thematic Maps: Thematic Maps Display Data on a Map. Geography at About.com.
<http://www.timesatlas.com/Documents/Greenland%20Insert%20HIGH%20RESOLUTION%20DOWNLOAD%20FOR%20PRINTING.pdf> Greeland maps and Views of Greenland to replace the map included in the Atlas.
<http://www.vedamsbooks.com/no11826/national-atlas-indianational-thematic-mapping-organization-10-volsset> Content description of National Atlas of India/National Atlas and Thematic Mapping Organization (10 Vols-Set), NA & TMO, 1995, 10 vols.
<http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/The_Times_Atlas_of_World_History> The Times Complete History of the World in Wikipedia.
< http://censusindia.gov.in/2011census/maps/maps2011.html> Administrative Atlas – 2011 can be downloaded from this site. The work has been done by Registrar General and Census Commissioner, Government of India.
< http://www.fodors.com/ > The Fodor’s site provides information about travel guides, its electronic versions, etc.
<http://travel.nationalgeographic.co.in/travel/> National Geographic site provides a wide variety of geographic information including travel guides and related information.