07 Statistical serials
Social Sciences and use of statistical Data
1. Indian Statistical System
- Acting as the nodal agency for planned and integrated development of the statistical system in the country.
- Coordination of statistical work with a view to identifying gaps in data availability or duplication of statistical work in respect of Departments of Government of India and the State Statistical Bureaus (SSBs) and to suggest necessary remedial measures.
- Laying down and maintenance of norms and standards in the field of statistics, evolving concepts, definition and methodology of data collection, processing of data and dissemination of results.
- Advising the Departments of the Government of India on statistical methodology and on analysis of statistical data.
- Dissemination of statistical information through a number of regular and ad-hoc publications to Government, semi-government or private data users and agencies; and dissemination of data on request to united Notions agencies like United Nations Statistics Division, International Labour Organization, UNESCO, World Bank and other relevant international agencies.
2 Sources of Statistical Data
3. Statistical Agencies
3.1 Central Statistical Office
- Statistical Abstract
- Women and Men in India
- Monthly Abstract of Statics
- Compendium of Environment Statistics.
3.2 National Sample Survey Office
3.3 Office of the Registrar General of India
3.4 Directorate General of Commercial Intelligence and Statistics
3.5 Directorate of Economics and Statistics
3.6 Labour Bureau
3.7 Reserve Bank of India
3.8 Ministry of Human Resource Development
4 Users’ Handbooks and Catalogue of Publications.
5 Data Dissemination on Demand.
6 National Databank on Socio-Religious Categories
7 Concluding Remarks
- Dasgupta, A.K. Restructuring the Statistical System. Economic and Political Weekly 37,15,2002, p. 1448-49.
- Goswami, P.R. Statistical in India. New Delhi, Annual, 1996.
- India Central Statistical Organization. Guide to Official Statistics, 1987. New Delhi, Controller of Publications.
- India, Ministry of Statistics and Programme Implementation. Annual Report, 2011-2012. New Delhi.
- Vidwans, SM. Indian Statistical System at the Crossroads: Expansion of National Sample Survey. Economic and Political weekly. 37; 38, 2002. p. 3943-3955.
- Vidwans, SM. Indian Statistical System of the Crossroads: Ominous Clouds of Centralization, Economic and Political Weekly. 37;37, 2002. p. 3819-3829.