Analysis of users’ need and customization of information in special and research library.
Meaning of Key Terms
- Project Investigators
Need : Need is a complex term. According to Wikipedia “A need is something that is necessary for organism to live a healthy life”(>en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Need<). There are various terms used for indicating need in libraries. These are following. Want: It means wish for something. Demand: a strong request for something. (Oxford English-English-Hindi Dictionary). Require: Require is a more formal term compare to need. (Oxford English-English-Hindi Dictionary). Ask: “say something in order to obtain an answer or information” (Concise Oxford English Dictionary). Call for: A demand.
A person needs information for satisfying some goal/s. All categories of users of academic field need lot of specific and pinpointed information for completing their tasks and objectives. The library and information professionals must be aware of their information need and searching patterns. Library and information centers keep changing and shifting their information products and services as per the need and future demands of users. Library professionals continuously strategize to fulfill the information needs of the academia.
Customization: In electronic environment, customization reflects the user’s ability to modify or change the resources or services as per their need or preferences.
Steps in the Analysis of User’s Need Process
How is User’s Need Analysis Conducted?
- To examine information needs of the users, such as : nature and type of information required, sources of information ( print and electronic ) used, time, efforts and money spent in information gathering, most authentic sources of information, informal communication network, use of libraries / information centres and others sources).
- To determine the user’s satisfaction with library resources and services.
- To find out how users’ minds work?
- To find out the ways for promoting active participation of users.
- To ascertain the future demands of the user.
- Literature Review.
- Design of Study.
- Primary data collection
- Secondary data collection.
- Report submission
- Article Writing
- Article publication
- Efforts in the direction of implementation.
What is Customization?
- OCLC provides customized options to users. >oclc.org<
- CDL (California Digital Library) also engaged in database customization.>www.cdlib.org<
- OPAC/ WebPAC
- Ask your librarian
- Inter library loan
- Digital repositories
- Online database
- Cancellation and reservation of reading material
- New arrivals
- Virtual union catalogue
- Real time reference service
- Ask an expert service
- Online/ digital document delivery services
- Virtual reference service
- Information alerting services
- Electronic document delivery services
- Library websites