- Explain the need and purpose of Current Awareness Services (CAS);
- Describe different types of Selective Dissemination of Information (SDI);
- Explain the concept and objectives of Selective Dissemination of Information (SDI);
- List the components of SDI with explanations;
- Explain the functional aspects of SDI;
- Highlight the importance of both CAS & SDI.
CURRENT AWARENESS SERVICE (CAS)
- CAS meets the current information requirements;
- CAS is provided to a similar group of users/researchers on the basis of their common information requirements;
- CAS not necessarily matches to the specific requirement of a user. It is simply current information. The information dissemination may in the form of print tools (but no more in trend) rather electronically.
- Its deliberations are within the stipulated time framed and pre-known to the users. It may be daily, weekly, or on the basis of fortnightly.
- Specific feedback is not required as its nature is simply current awareness in required or related areas.
- CAS facilitates in quick awareness since the inception of particular information as it takes time to be availed through any other sources (indexing & abstracting journal, commercial catalogue, marketing sources etc)