By :C P Vashishth
- Get acquainted with financial management of libraries;
- Understand the need for finances in public libraries;
- Identify the sources of finance for public libraries;
- Explain the role of various organisations in making available financial resources to public libraries; and
- Highlight the present status of public library financing in India.
2. 0 Introduction
3.0 Financial Management
3.1 Public Library Finance
4.0 Public Libraries In India – Financial System
- It helps in creating necessary conditions under which public libraries can be established in all the states.
- Public libraries can be put on a sound and sure financial footing by way of levy of library tax.
- Public libraries become independent from subscription, donation or private gifts.
ii. Levying of library cess with a matching grant from the state government.
- Rate of library cess/local extra tax or surcharge, etc.;
- Goods on which tax will be levied i.e. vehicle, land, house, other properties, etc.;
- The method of receiving the cess from the public;
- Checking of received money through cess; and
- Other sources of finance.
4.1 Statutory System
4.2 Non-Statutory System
5.0 Sources Of Finance For Libraries In India
5.1 Central Government
- Enact library legislation, in all constituent states, to establish public libraries;
- Build nationwide library service with detailed suggestions for financing through the state and central governments;
- Extend public library service to the blocks, panchayats, and villages; and,
- Create an independent Department of Social Education and Libraries.
5.2 State Governments
5.3 Local Funding
5.4 Other Organisations
6. Role of RRRLF
A major activity of RRRLF is Assistance Programme, which is, according to the RRRLF website (http://rrrlf.nic.in/activfrm.htm) as below:
RRRLF promotes public library services rendering book and financial assistance to the public libraries under different schemes of assistance in collaboration with Library Department or Department in-charge of Public Library Services.